The Jet Data Manager allows you to insert your own data into tables. An example of where this would be useful is when you have data that you wish to use in the data warehouse or cubes, but the data does not presently exist in a source database.
There are two methods of creating custom data:
- Manually enter the records
- Import the records via the Import feature (note that this feature requires that the drivers for Excel are installed in the correct bit version)
The two examples below illustrate how to perform each method by inserting a list of holidays into a custom Holidays table.
- Right-click the Tables node, and select Add Custom Table
- Give the table a descriptive name and press OK
- Add two custom fields named Date and Description
- Right-click the Holidays table, and navigate to Advanced >> Custom Data
- Manually enter the dates and descriptions of holidays. When finished, click OK .
- Prepare an Excel file that contains the data that you wish to import. In the spreadsheet, give descriptive names to your column headers , and save the file to a path that can be accessed from within the Jet Data Manager
- On the same screen as Step #5 above, click the Import Data button
- On the next screen, you can perform the following steps;
1. Click Select File , and navigate to the path of where your Excel document is saved
2. In the Work Sheets drop-down, pick which sheet from your workbook contains your data
3. Check the box Remove Existing Data to have the Jet Data Manager delete any records that may already exist in the table you are importing data into
4. In the drop-down fields, map the columns in the spreadsheet to the columns in your table
- Click OK .