May 4, 2016
Changes since 15.1.16098.0
- Fixed issue where an InvalidOperationException could occur when running "Jet Setup.exe".
- Fixed issue where an orphaned "Activation.token.bak" file in the Jet Reports AppData folder could cause Excel to crash upon opening.
- Fixed issue where the Excel "Find" would be populated with Cyrillic text after running a report or entering Design mode.
- Fixed issue with Dynamics GP Views "Jet GL Account" and "Jet GL Transactions" where entries would be excluded for accounts that had no category.
- Fixed issue with Dynamics GP Views where some duplicate transactions would be excluded.
- Added "REFRENCE" field to Dynamics GP "Jet GL Transactions" view.
April 12, 2016
Changes since 15.1.16054.0
- Modified the Jet Setup to detect running applications and prompt the user to close them before proceeding.
- Fixed issue where a Dynamics NAV GL function that specifies multiple companies may not give the correct value for a totaling account.
- Fixed issue where a Dynamics NAV SQL data source using NavUserPassword authentication will throw an InvalidFilterException when the user name has special characters.
- Fixed issue where clicking the Next button button after choosing "Activate via Email" in the Jet Activation window crashes Excel.
- Fixed issue in the Jet Service Tier where Active Directory users are not considered members of their primary Active Directory group.
- Fixed issue where an NF with an empty key specified will use the default data source, resulting in a possible error.
- Fixed issue with report option validation where the validation formula may not be evaluated correctly.
- Fixed issue where NL(Table) throws an ArgumentOutOfRangeException when duplicate field identifiers are specified.
- Fixed issue with the Scheduler where a scheduled task may run under a local user account if the user name is the same as the domain user.
February 25, 2016
Changes since 15.1.16013.0
- Removed validation check for ambiguous field references that resulted in the message, "The identifier 'x' is ambiguous between two or more objects."
- Improved installation experience when an issue is encountered with the Excel installation, formerly resulting in an InvalidExcelApplicationException.
- Improved error message that is presented in the Jet Scheduler when a scheduled task name contains special characters.
- Improved message that is presented in the Jet Administration Console when importing data sources.
- Fixed issue where a lag could occur when switching between Excel workbooks.
- Fixed issue where an ArgumentException could occur when running a report that contains a pivot table.
- Fixed issue where a NullReferenceException would occur for Viewers when running reports with the "+Dashboard" tag.
- Fixed issue where the "Update Data Source" button would not work for a pivot table that was created using the Jet ribbon.
- Fixed issue where a report with GL or NL(Sum) functions that reference multi-company filters could #VALUE! when Batch Function Execution is enabled.
- Fixed issue where Excel would fail to open files from Windows Explorer when both the Jet and Hyperion add-ins were installed.
- Fixed issue where Excel tables that were not created by Jet would lose their data when refreshing the report.
- Fixed issue where the Jet installer could give an error when using Swedish regional settings.
- Fixed issue where Grid drilldown did not work in Dynamics NAV Remote Data Service data sources.
- Fixed issue where double-clicking one of the Jfx buttons on the ribbon could crash Excel.
- Fixed issue in the Jet Administration Console where the NAV User Id/Password would not be saved correctly when using NavUserPassword authentication.
- Fixed issue where installing the Jet Service Tier to run under the NETWORK SERVICE account could fail to gain access the Jet Services database.
January 20, 2016
Changes since 15.1.15350.0
- Fixed issue where Dynamics GP data sources could throw an SEHException when connecting to SQL Server 2012.
- Fixed issue where duplicate fields could be loaded in a SQL-Server based data source, resulting in an AmbiguousIdentifierException when accessing the field.
- Fixed issue where an exception could occur when accessing certain tables in the Dynamics NAV 2013 and later Web Services data source.
- Fixed issue where the Jet Scheduler could only be opened by a single user at a time.
- Fixed issue where the custom Jet message box could truncate text.
- Fixed issue where the Jet Scheduler (Autopilot) would fail to send email via Outlook with an error.
- Fixed issue where drilldown did not work in a Multitenant NAV Remote Data Service data source.
December 10, 2015
Changes since 15.1.15308.0
- Changed Jet to generate an error message when a query is made using an ambiguous table or field identifier. Depending on the data source, this could be the number, name, or caption.
- Added a link to a KB article for users who can create and connect to a NAVSQL data source but receive an error stating that the "data provider cannot be found" when designing reports.
- Improved the error message when attempting to connect to a NAVRDS with an invalid host name.
- Fixed issue where Jet Setup would throw a COMException when Excel was not installed.
- Fixed issue where NL(Table) threw an ArgumentException when switching companies.
- Fixed issue where an invalid activation token failed to run Jet as Express.
- Fixed issue where too many decimal places were displayed in the Jet data grid drilldown for NAV SQL data sources.
- Fixed issue where clicking test connection with a blank or invalid username/password in the did not properly prompt the user for credentials with a NAV CFront data source.
- Fixed issue where omitting the username/password for a NAV CFront data source did not prompt for credentials when loading the company list.
- Fixed issue where the JRDS installer did not enable HTTP Activation.
- Fixed issue where the DataSource Settings Window and the New User Experience Window were cut off in the Windows 10.
- Fixed issue where Excel crashed closing the JFx.
- Fixed issue where the JFx stayed active when opening a workbook saved in Report-Mode.
- Fixed issue where the NAVRDS and GPRDS data sources did not respect local date formats.
- Fixed issue where CalcFields containing dimension fields inside an NF() for NavSqlDataSources threw a FieldNotFound exception.
- Fixed issue where the Progress Window failed to appear and the Report Runtime was 00:00'00 when running a report.
- Fixed issue where grid drilldown does not work on a formula containing a flowfield in a field cache.
- Fixed issue where the table record count only returned the count for the first company in a NAV 2013 Web Service Data Source.
- Fixed issue where Jet displayed the message "The 'Unhide' operation is not allowed for reports containing NL('Table') functions." when there were no NL('Table') functions in the workbook.
- Fixed issue where option fields in CalcFields returned the enumerated value instead of the option's caption in NAVSQL data sources .
- Fixed issue where NAVSQL data sources threw an Invalid Field error when a dimension value contained special characters.
- Fixed issue where Autopilot always used the default Outlook profile in Office 2013. To fix this the outlook profile box has been removed from the general application settings pane; users who are currently using the feature should be able to continue to do so by setting the setting in the xml settings file.
- Fixed issue where Serenic User Access Rules were not being respected for NAV 2013 and later databases.
November 5, 2015
Changes since 15.1.15265.0
- Added support for Jet Data Warehouse Security row-level security.
- Added KB article links for various messages.
- Fixed issue where a COMException was thrown when refreshing a report with a Pivot table based on a SQL database was in a report.
- Fixed issue where a COMException was thrown when a HideSheet tag was on the active worksheet and the report was refreshed.
- Fixed issue where Active Directory Groups in subdomains were being removed from the JetServices database during the Active Directory Sync.
- Fixed issue with batch optimization in the NAVRDS where NF functions returned #VALUE when one or more of the record keys was blank.
- Fixed issue with batch optimization in the NAV Web Service data source where an NF returning the primary key value from a scalar record function returned #VALUE.
September 29, 2015
Changes since 15.1.15224.0
- Changed the Remote Data Service installer to require PowerShell 4.0.
- Fixed issue where a Pivot table based on an NL("Table") would leave extra data on a report.
- Fixed issue where a Pivot table based on Jet data would throw an error when using PowerPivot data.
- Fixed issue where a Pivot table based on Jet data would throw the error The workbook connection 'LinkedTable_Table1' could not be updated for the following reason: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC.
- Fixed French translation of the Table Builder Supertip.
- Fixed typo in the Jet log file (data source type => data source type).
- Fixed issue where NP(Dates) with a Period Type of Week and set to return end dates did not return all of the expected end dates.
- Fixed issue where the Jet Ribbon would disappear when the JFx was open and the user interacted with Excel's formula bar.
- Fixed issue where an incorrect error message was displayed when activating via the Jet Service Tier but the service is unreachable.
- Fixed issue where CalcFields with NUMBER& returned incorrect results in Dutch.
- Fixed issue where creating a snippet with multiple font styles would throw an error or crash Excel.
- Fixed issue where adding a local user group to the Jet Admin Console did not work.
August 18, 2015
Changes since 15.1.15217.0
- Changed the Jet Setup installer so that the selection of Client Components only selects Jet Essentials to be installed by default.
- Changed the Jet Service Tier so that it will automatically attempt to restart if the service fails.
- Fixed translation related issues in the Table Builder and Scheduler that resulted in FormatException errors occurring in some languages.
- Fixed issue where changing the Simulation Mode in the Application Settings would take effect even after clicking the "Cancel" button.
August 7, 2015
Changes since 15.1.15204.0
- Updated Japanese Translations.
- Fixed performance issues with the Dynamics NAV SQL data source (introduced in 15.1.15204.0).
- Fixed issue where the Enter key in the New Data Source window would close the window even when the OK button is disabled.
- Fixed issue where the Remote Data Service would fail to uninstall as a result of attempting to add UrlAuthorization to IIS.
- Fixed issue with the Remote Data Service Powershell Set command where the -CreateAuthorization switch could throw an IndexOutOfRangeException.
- Fixed issue where the Web Client drilldown would not work in Dynamics NAV Remote Data Service data sources that use a culture-specific date format.
July 31, 2015
Changes since 15.1.15181.1
- Updated product translations.
- Added preliminary support for Microsoft Excel 2016.
- Added PowerShell command to configure authorized users in Jet Remote Data Service data sources.
- Improved handling of certificate errors for Jet Remote Data Service data sources.
- Improved automatic IIS configuration during installation of the Jet Remote Data Service.
- Improved error message that is displayed when a company is not selected in a supported data source.
- Fixed issue where Excel pivot tables where updated every time a workbook was activated.
- Fixed issue where the User Data button was no longer available on the Jet Ribbon.
- Fixed issue where the Web Client drilldown would not work in Dynamics NAV data sources that use a culture-specific date format.
- Fixed issue where the Report Builder would be disabled on the Jet Ribbon when connected to the Jet Configuration Service.
- Fixed issue where a nested NL(Filter) function threw an a unexpected error.
- Fixed issue where Favorites were enabled when simulating Jet Express mode.
- Fixed issue where simulating Express mode could delete all data sources that were not selected as the Express Mode data source.
- Fixed issue where a corrupt license activation token could be saved to the user profile.
- Fixed issue where an error would occur when creating a cube data source over an HTTPS connection.
- Fixed issue where NL(BinaryText) did not encode the results correctly in Dynamics NAV 2013 and later data sources.
- Fixed issue where the tables were not being refreshed in the Browser when the Company was changed.
July 7, 2015
Changes since 15.1.15166.0
- Changed NP(Difference), NP(Intersect) and NL(AllUnique) to return "||" strings so that they no longer have to be embedded inside another Jet function.
- Implemented NavUserPassword authentication in the NAV Remote Data Service data source.
- Fixed issue with Jet array functions where Excel could truncate large arrays, which could result in an incomplete data set.
- Fixed issue where users with a Jet Enterprise license were not allowed to add a new Universal data source.
- Fixed issue where the Jfx was not able to edit NAV GL functions in the NAV Remote Data Service data source.
- Fixed issue in the Cube data source where a pivot table would prompt for credentials when using the Windows Other User authentication type.
- Fixed issue in the Cube data source where date filters may not work as expected depending on the date format in the cubes.
June 17, 2015
Changes since 15.1.15148.0
- Updated German translations.
- Improved experience during initial data source configuration and addition of new data sources.
- Added ability to see data source name and type in both the Jet Data Source Settings window and Jet Administration Console.
- Added ability to Cube data sources to specify a username and password for remote connections via HTTP/HTTPS.
- Changed NP(Union), NP(Split) and NP(DataSources) to return "||" strings so that they no longer have to be embedded inside another Jet function.
- Fixed issue where an exception would occur and be repeatedly written to the Jet log file when attempting to read the DisableLocal registry setting.
- Fixed issue in the Jet Service Tier where the schema version and admin user would not be added to the Jet Services database in the case that the Jet Setup required a reboot.
- Fixed issue in the Jet Remote Data Service where the bitness of the Application Pool would not be set correctly for a 64-bit installation.
June 2, 2015
Changes since 15.1.15131.0
- Updated German and Japanese translations.
- Fixed issue where the Jet Setup installer application would not launch on Windows 7 with .NET Framework 4.0.
- Fixed issue where NF functions would not respect a Company= on the NL function with Batch Function Execution enabled.
- Fixed issue in the Dynamics NAV Remote Data Service where the client-side Default Company setting was not being respected.
- Fixed issue where the Jet Service Tier would not work with a database in a case-sensitive collation.
May 12, 2015
This important update to Jet Essentials provides many new features partners and system administrators have been asking for:
- Support for multi-tenancy with NAV 2013 through 2015
- A three-tier architecture for the NAV SQL Connector
- Tighter consolidation between Jet Essentials and the Jet Configuration Service – including automatic server-based license activation
- A simplified Jet ribbon
- Jet Essentials now support " Jet Express Mode " – providing an easier demo environment for partners and users
- Jet Express can now be upgrade to Jet Essentials by simply obtaining a Jet Essentials activation code from your Jet Reports representative
Using Jet Essentials with NAV in a hosted environment just got better! You can now use Jet Essentials in NAV 2013 and NAV 2015 multi-tenant environments, and the new three-tier architecture provides tremendous speed improvements over the traditional Web Services data source connection.
For administrators, adding Jet Essentials users is now easier than ever before. You can configure Jet Essentials to automatically activate and connect your users to your business databases. Server-based activation can automatically activate each user’s installation – even if the user does not have internet access – eliminating the need for manual activation.
Users will appreciate the ability to control which buttons they see on the Jet ribbon – allowing them to focus on the tools they use most.
By combining Jet Express with Jet Essentials, upgrading to Jet Essentials is a simple matter of entering an activation code – there’s no need to go through a whole new installation process. Demonstrations of both products (or confirming that a report is compatible with Jet Express) can now be done from a single install.
Jet Essentials 2015
Jet Essentials 2015 Build 15.0.15091.0
April 2, 2015
Changes since 15.0.15071.0
- Added compatibility checking to improve messaging when connecting to incompatible versions of the Jet Service Tier.
- Improved error handling and logging in the Dynamics NAV SQL data source when invalid object metadata is encountered.
- Fixed issue in the Jet Administration Console where deleting users would not work after scrolling the list.
- Fixed issue with Dynamics NAV SQL data sources where an invalid database caption could result in an ArgumentException with the message, "An entry with the same key already exists."
Jet Essentials 2015 Build 15.0.15071.0
March 13, 2015
Changes since 15.0.15063.0
- Fixed issue with Report Options where lookups would fail with the message "Invalid lookup formula XXX." when the table parameter of the NL("Lookup") function contained an array or a nested function that returned an array.
Jet Essentials 2015 Build 15.0.15063.0
March 4, 2015
Changes since 15.0.15019.0
- Fixed issue where the Jet Service Tier may crash if an older client application connected to it.
- Fixed issue where Essentials or the Jet Administration Console may only be able to connect to the Jet Service Tier using the IP Address but not the host name.
- Fixed issue where SQL Server-based data sources did not correctly filter Unicode characters in a Latin collation.
- Fixed issue where a report may not generate correctly when "Enable batch function execution" is enabled in the Application Settings and very large text values are retrieved.
- Fixed issue with the Dynamics NAV SQL data source could return incorrect data when certain FlowFields were used in the same report across multiple companies.
- Fixed issue with the Dynamics NAV SQL data source where Option field values (as opposed to captions) would be returned for link fields.
- Fixed issue with the Dynamics NAV SQL data source where the tables and fields may not load correctly when using SQL Server 2012.
- Fixed issue with the Dynamics NAV SQL data source where tables and fields may not load correctly if a failure is encountered when loading Advanced Dimensions.
- Fixed issue with the Dynamics NAV SQL data source where a sort-by-sum would not sort correctly when returning record keys on a table with a multi-field primary key.
Jet Essentials 2015 Build 15.0.15019.0
January 20, 2015
- Fixed issues with the Jet Service Tier installer regarding which user was used to validate schema and database read/write permissions.
- Fixed issue where a filter on a field with a sql_variant data type would throw an exception in SQL Server based data sources.
- Fixed issue where some wildcard filters would not raise the appropriate error in a Cube data source.
- Fixed issue where Table and Field details may not be loaded correctly for Dynamics NAV data sources prior to NAV 2013.
Jet Essentials 2015 Build 15.0.14357.0
December 29, 2014
Jet Essentials 2015 Build 15.0.14329.0
December 1, 2014
Changes since build 15.0.14295.0
- Fixed issue in the Dynamics NAV GL and NL functions where company filters would sometimes be case-sensitive.
- Fixed issue where the license activation window may not show up in the foreground when opening Excel.
- Fixed issue in the Jet Administration Console where an EntityCommandExecutionException could occur when deleting a user.
- Fixed issue where CalcFilters containing an Excel IF statement could cause a NullReferenceException.
- Fixed issue in Dynamics NAV data sources where a drilldown resulted in a confusing error message if no RTC Server is specified.
- Fixed issue in Dynamics NAV (CFront) data sources where a non-English Boolean string value would give an InvalidFilterException.
Jet Essentials 2015 Build 15.0.14295.0
October 23, 2014
Changes since build 15.0.14280.0
- Update product translations
Fixed issue where the Dynamics NAV GL function would throw an OverflowException
Fixed issue in the Dynamics NAV SQL connector where table and field names with quotation marks or apostrophes were not supported.
Jet Essentials 2015 Build 15.0.14280.0
October 8, 2014
- Added Table Cache Optimization for NAV 2013 and NAV 2015 data sources using NAV's Web Services
Added compatibility with NAV 2015
Added support for NAV 2015's Office 365 authentication method (also known as OAuth authentication)
Expanded the Jet Administration Console (part of the Jet Service Tier) to support Jet Mobile
- Fixed the Office 365 "click-to-run" update issue where Excel would fail to recognize the Jet Essentials add-in after an Office update had been installed.
What's New in Jet Essentials 2015
| Jet Essentials 2015 provides improved reporting performance – especially when querying Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 and 2015 data sources using NAV’s Web Services.
This improvement is obtained through the use of the new Table Cache feature. Information about this feature can be found in our online Knowledgebase.
|Dynamics NAV 2015 Compatibility|
|Jet Essentials 2015 has been specifically designed to be fully compatible with the new features of Dynamics NAV 2015.|
|Additional NAV 2015 Authorization Credential Type|
| With Jet Essentials 2015, NAV 2015 users can use five different credential types to allow them to connect to their NAV 2015 data. These include Windows, User Name, NAV User Password, Access Control Service (ACS), and Office 365 (also known as OAuth) authentication.
This can be set on NAV 2015 data sources by selecting Data Source Settings > Authentication and selecting the desired credential type .
|NEW Jet Service Tier and Jet Administration Console|
The data schema for the Jet Configuration Service in Jet Essentials 2015 is different than the data schema used in Jet Essentials 2013 and for Centralized Settings in prior versions of Jet. Due to this, any organization which is using Jet Essentials 2013’s Configuration Service or Centralized Settings in earlier versions of Jet Essentials must upgrade.
For users of Jet Essentials 2013, the upgrade is handled automatically by the Jet Essentials 2015 installer (this update will not be accessible by Jet Essentials 2013).
Users of the earlier Centralized Settings feature must upgrade to the Jet Essentials 2013 Jet Configuration Service prior to upgrading upgrade to Jet Essentials 2015. This is a fairly simple, but mandatory, upgrade. Failure to upgrade your Centralized Settings may stop users from being able to use Jet Essentials 2015.
These Knowledgebase articles contain additional information on the Jet Configuration Service and directions on how to upgrade from Centralized Settings.
Jet Essentials 2013 Update 1 Build 14.1.14226.0
August 18, 2014
Changes since 14.1.14177.0
Updated product translations.
Fixed issue in the Dynamics NAV SQL data source where the "Windows Authentication (other user)" did not work as expected in conjunction with the GL function.
Fixed issue in the Dynamics NAV SQL data source where a SQL error could occur when using a LinkField against a nested link that uses multiple fields to join the table.
Jet Essentials 2013 Update 1 Build 14.1.14177.0
June 27, 2014
Changes since 14.1.14133.0
Improved the NP(Dates) function so that the "Return Period End" argument is more intuitive, only returning period ends in the specified range.
Improved the NP(Dates) function so that only the Start Date argument must be specified in order to return the corresponding Period End.
Fixed issue in the Dynamics NAV SQL data source where the Date table was not being recognized in some scenarios.
Fixed issue in the Dynamics NAV SQL data source where the "Windows Authentication (other user)" did not work as expected.
Fixed issue in the Dynamics NAV SQL data source where FlowFields to virtual tables were available, even though virtual tables are not supported.
Fixed issue in the Dynamics NAV SQL data source where some FlowField queries would throw a SqlException in locales that use a comma (',') as decimal separator.
Fixed issue in the Dynamics NAV SQL data source where some decimal values show too many decimal places.
Fixed issue in Dynamics NAV 2013 data sources where an instance name could not be specified for Web Client drilldown.
Fixed issue in Dynamics NAV 2013 data sources where nested CalcFields could attempt to retrieve values from the wrong table.
Fixed issue in the Dynamics NAV Web Service data source where filters on Decimal fields were not correct in locales that use a comma (',') as decimal separator.
Fixed issue in the Jet Administration Console where the Company field was not available for a Dynamics NAV SQL data source.
Fixed issue in the Scheduler where the UI culture was not being set, causing some things not to be displayed in the current locale.
Fixed issue in the Report Builder where related items were not populated when using a Dynamics NAV SQL data source.
Fixed issue in the Report Wizard where filters were not cleared when navigating "Back" then clicking "Next" and returning to the Filters page.
Fixed issue with the NP(Formula) function where an ArgumentOutOfRangeException could occur.
Fixed issue where attempting to insert a pivot table over the top of another did not give a helpful error message.
Fixed issue where renaming a Cube data source would throw an IOException if an Office Data Connection (*.odc) file with the new name already existed.
Fixed issue in the Jfx where picking up a function with more than 10 FilterField/Filter pairs would throw an ArgumentOutOfRangeException.
Fixed issue in the Table Builder where double-clicking the scrollbar when looking up a table would cause the popup window to close.
Fixed issue in the Jfx/Table Builder where double-clicking the resize handle of a popup would cause erratic behavior.
Fixed issue in the installer where attempting to install Jet Essentials over the same version of Jet Express would result in multiple entries in Add/Remove Programs.
Jet Essentials 2013 Update 1 Build 14.1.14133.0
May 14, 2014
Fixed issue where Dynamics GP GL(Cell) formulas would return #VALUE! errors with the "Enable batch function execution" setting enabled.
Jet Essentials 2013 Update 1 Build 14.1.14114.0
April 24, 2014
Added data source for direct SQL Server access for NAV 2013 and higher.
This build includes new versions of the Jet Configuration Service and the Jet Administration Console needed to support the new data source type.
Jet Essentials 2013
Jet Essentials 2013 Build 14.0.14042.0
February 11, 2014
Jet Essentials 2013 Build 14.0.14024.0
January 27, 2014
Changes since 14.0.13337.0
Jet Essentials 2013 Build 14.0.13337.0
December 3, 2013
Changes since 14.0.13276.0
Jet Essentials 2013 Build 14.0.13276.0
October 4, 2013
Jet Essentials 2013 Build 14.0.13249.0
September 6, 2013
Jet Essentials 2013 Build 14.0.13231.0
August 20, 2013
Changes since 14.0.13222.0
Fixed issue with the Dynamics NAV GL function where accounts with the account type of "totaling" always returned 0.
Fixed issue with batch query execution where an error occurred when doing a company consolidation with GL or NL(Sum).
Fixed issue with the GL function and NL(Sum) where an error occurred when specifying a company name that contains special characters.
Fixed issue with the Scheduler where canceling the elevation prompt resulted in an exception.
Fixed issue with the Jet Configuration Service installer where an error occurred attempting to insert the Schema Version when running in a non-English locale.
Jet Essentials 2013 Build 14.0.13222.0
Changes since 14.0.13203.0
Updated Spanish translation of 'Tooltip'.
Improved error message when license activation fails due to an invalid activation code.
Fixed issue where scheduled reports would fail to run when logged out because the license activation token could not be found.
Fixed issue with batch query execution where NF functions would not be negated as expected.
Fixed issue with batch query execution where special-character escaped filters would return #VALUE! when referencing a row absolute range.
Fixed issue with batch query execution where functions may return #VALUE! when using a Dynamics NAV 2013 data source.
Fixed issue with Jet Configuration Service where a timeout may occur after a long period of inactivity.
What's New in Jet Essentials 2013
|Product installation considerations with Jet Essentials 2013|
Jet Essentials 2013 includes new functionality that may require product updates in addition to the Jet Essentials client.
If your organization is running Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 there is a new set of business objects which will need to be imported into the NAV database. Jet Essentials 2013 will not connect to a Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 database until these code units have been imported. The new business objects will work with prior versions of Jet Essentials – so we recommend the business objects be installed prior to users upgrading to Jet Essentials 2013. More information on the new NAV 2013 business objects is available below
If your organization is using the Centralized Settings feature there is a fairly simple, but mandatory upgrade for the new Jet Configuration Service. The Jet Configuration Services replaces the Centralized Settings feature. More information on this topic is available below .
|Backward Compatibility of Jet Essentials 2013|
Jet Essentials 2013 is fully compatible with reports written in earlier versions of Jet. However, reports created with Jet Essentials 2013 may contain new features and functionality and may not be compatible with earlier versions. For this reason we strongly recommend that users who share reports upgrade to Jet Essentials 2013 at the same time.
The license security model has changed with Jet Essentials 2013. Instead of acquiring and managing license (*.JLF) files, your copy of Jet Essentials will now be activated and validated using our online activation service.
After purchasing Jet Essentials or Jet Enterprise you will be sent an activation code.
|You will need an activation code to use Jet Essentials 2013.
See the article on How to Activate your Jet License for more information.
With Activation, updates to your license (e.g. extending Annual Enhancement Plans, adding designers, etc.) will be applied automatically - you will no longer need to install an updated license file.
Current customers will migrate to the new system once they upgrade to Jet Essentials 2013. Customers who choose not to upgrade to Jet Essentials 2013 will remain on the old licensing system.
|Jet Configuration Service|
With the Jet Configuration Service, company administrators can configure Jet data source properties for all their users in a single location. Administrators can define data sources and give users access to these data sources using the Jet Administration console.When new Jet users are deployed, they just need to point to the location of the Jet Configuration Service to gain access all of their data source connections.
The data schema for the Jet Configuration Service is different than the data schema for Centralized Settings in prior versions of Jet.Due to this, any organization which is using Centralized Settings must upgrade to the Jet Configuration Service prior to upgrading upgrade to Jet Essentials 2013. This is a fairly simple, but mandatory, upgrade. Failure to upgrade your Centralized Settings may stop users from being able to use Jet Essentials 2013.
These Knowledgebase articles contain additional information on the Jet Configuration Service and directions on how to upgrade from Centralized Settings:
Jet Essentials 2013 provides improved reporting performance – especially when querying Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 data sources.
|Table Builder for Microsoft Dynamics GP and "Universal" data sources|
The Table Builder feature, which had previously been available for Microsoft Dynamics NAV databases only, now works with Microsoft Dynamics GP and “Universal” data sources. This feature now can be used to create reports from SQL views in addition to tables.
The Table Builder feature includes an easy-to-use interface which allows users to simply create an Excel table from data in one or more tables or views in their database.
|Compatibility with Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013|
|Jet Essentials 2013 is compatible with Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013.
Microsoft Dynamics GP 2013 introduced the ability for database administrators to rename their Dynamics database on their SQL server – the default name for this database is “DYNAMICS”.
If your Dynamics database name was changed, you will have the ability to select the renamed database in your data source settings.
|Multi-company sums for Microsoft Dynamics NAV and GP|
With Microsoft Dynamics NAV and GP, queries which return a summed amount can now be set to return a combined value from multiple companies. This includes the NL(Sum) function and GL functions which return balance, budget, credit or debit amounts.
|To set an NL(Sum) function to return data from multiple companies use the “Company=” keyword and specify your companies.
|In the GL functions specify multiple companies in the “Company” filter.
Operators such as “*”, “|” and “..” can be used in this way with either the GL or NL(“Sum”) function.
Note – when multiple companies are selected in a query the “drilldown” feature is deactivated for that query.
|"IncludeDuplicates=" keyword for NL(Table) to return every posible record|
Jet Essentials 2013 includes a new keyword IncludeDuplicates . When this is set to “TRUE” the NL(Table) query will return a row for every record in the base table (as if the designer included the primary key in the query).
In prior versions of Jet Essentials, the NL(Table) function always returned the “unique” sets of records for a query (i.e., it would not return duplicate values if multiple records in the data source table included identical values).
An NL(Table) query that returned only “County”, “City” from the Customer table will return only the unique set of Counties and Cities from this table. It would not return a row for each customer record.
Similarly an NL(Table) query that returned only “G/L Account”, “Document Date” and “Amount” from the G/L Entry table will return only the unique combinations of “G/L Account”, “Document Date” and “Amount”. This query could cause problems when there are multiple transactions for a G/L account on the same date for identical amounts. Not all records would appear in the query. In prior version of Jet Essentials the only way to ensure your NL(Table) function returned every record was to include a primary key for the base table in the query.
Adding IncludeDuplicates=True to reports eliminates this type of error. Adding IncludeDuplicates=True provides the additional benefit of improving the speed of many NL(Table) queries, as it eliminates a computation step
|We recommend that designers add IncludeDuplicates=True to almost every report which includes an NL(Table) function in order to eliminate the potential for this type of error and to improve speed.|
A case where you would not want to include this would be a report that is intended to be viewed as a table (not a PivotTable) and it’s desired to only see the unique combinations
|Table Builder defaults to "IncludeDuplicates=True"|
In prior versions of Jet Essentials the Table Builder feature returned the “unique” set of records for a query (i.e., only one record would be returned for multiple records with identical data).
With Jet Essentials 2013 the default behavior is changed so that the Table Builder will return every record matching the specified filters. When the Table Builder feature is used, the resulting NL(Table) query will include the keyword “IncludeDuplicates = TRUE”
|GP Update Utility redesigned and now creates GP security roles|
|The GP Update Utility has been completely redesigned with Jet Essentials 2013.
The GP Update Utility creates a set of tables, views and security roles in your Microsoft Dynamics GP database which help with security and significantly improve the reporting experience.
The GP Update Utility now adds a set of SQL security roles to the Dynamics GP database, making it easier to manage permissions for Jet users.
|Improved handling of "Friendly" names|
Some users, most commonly on Microsoft Dynamics GP, like to see both the physical name and a friendly name of their tables and fields (e.g. IV00101[Item Master]). When the physical and friendly name of a field matched the names would be repeated (e.g. Customer Name[Customer Name]).
With Jet Essentials 2013 the field name will only be shown once.
|NP("Dates") and NP("Integer") functions work backwards and forwards|
The NP(“Dates”) function returns a set of dates between a starting date and an ending date. This function is helpful for creating rows or columns of dates.
The NP(“Integers”) function is similar, returning a set of integers between a start number and an end number.
In prior versions these functions returned data in ascending order only. With Jet Essentials 2013 these functions can also return data in descending order - this is done by entering an ending value that is smaller than the starting value.
NP("Dates","3/1/2013","1/1/2013","month") will return the array (3/1/2013; 2/1/2013; 1/1/2013)
NP("Dates","1/1/2013","3/1/2013","month") will return the array (1/1/2013; 2/1/2013; 3/1/2013)
|Jet Scheduler is compatible with recent Microsoft updates|
The Jet Scheduler has been modified to accommodate recent Microsoft updates affecting the Windows Task Scheduler.
This modification allows the Jet Scheduler to continue to utilize the Windows Task Scheduler without Excel needing to be permanently run with elevated, administrative permissions.
|Tooltips for Report Options|
Tooltips can now be added to the Report Options window.
Tooltips are text boxes which will appear when the user hovers their mouse over the option line. They can be used to provide the user additional information about their report options.
To create a tooltip enter the word “tooltip” in Row 1 of your report options panel, then below this you can type in the text that you want displayed for each option
|Updating Jet Business objects in Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013|
If you are currently operating Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013, you will need to have your Jet business objects updated in your NAV database prior to upgrading users to Jet Essentials 2013. This is due to the new functionality of Jet Essentials 2013. The new business objects are backward compatible, so they will also work for users who have not yet upgraded to Jet Essentials 2013.
The new business objects are in a file named Jet Reports Objects.fob , The person installing these objects will need access to the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Development Environment.
To update your business objects, open the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Development Environment .
Select File > Import … , select the Jet Reports Object.fob file and click Open
You should receive a message that there were no conflicts found. Click Yes, then OK
Your business objects have been updated.
Jet Essentials 2012 R2
Jet Essentials 2012 R2 Build 12.5.13162.0
June 13, 2013
Changes Since 12.5.13099.0
Improved performance and memory consumption of server side objects required for NAV 2013 data source. (NOTE: Requires update of "Jet Reports Objects.fob" in Dynamics NAV)
Fixed issue with NAV 2013 data sources where date filters may not work as expected if the query contains an array filter or NL(Filter).
Jet Essentials 2012 R2 Build 12.5.13099.0
Changes Since 12.5.13072.0
April 19, 2013
Fixed issue where function results would remain cached after changing the default data source or company on the Jet ribbon.
Fixed issue where Drilldown did not work for Viewers when Jet functions were not uppercase (NL, NF, NP, or GL).
Fixed issue where a connection to a SQL Server using SSL gave the message, "Keyword not supported: 'use encrypted data'."
Fixed issue in the Jfx where auto-population of Link fields did not respect the Drop Format setting.
Fixed issue in NAV 2013 data sources where opting not to load a language module threw an exception. (NOTE: Requires update of "Jet Reports Objects.fob" in Dynamics NAV)
Fixed issue in Report Options where validation would not work with +Lock or +Values when the validation formula contained a Jet function.
Jet Essentials 2012 R2 Build 12.5.13072.0
March 14, 2013
Added support for all four types of Dynamics NAV 2013 authentication methods.
Improved performance of Dynamics NAV 2013 data sources.
Fixed issue in Dynamics NAV data sources where sorting by more than two fields may not sort as expected.
Fixed issue in the Jfx where special FilterFields (e.g. Link=, etc.) would not be available in the lookup for NL("Rows=X") and NL("Columns=") functions.
Jet Essentials 2012 R2 Build 12.5.13039.0
February 18, 2013
Updated French translation.
Improved performance of Dynamics NAV GL function in certain situations.
Improved performance of lookups on Dimension members in Cube data sources.
Fixed issue with Cube data sources where drilldown on NL(CubeValue) might display an error about a column that does not allow null values.
Fixed issue with Cube data sources where HTTP connections to the Analysis Services server were not supported.
Fixed issue with the Browser where Favorites might not be saved for a newly created data source.
Jet Essentials 2012 R2 Build 12.5.12353.0
Changes Since 12.5.12271.0
December 21, 2012
Added Excel 2013 compatibility.
Added support for NAV 2009 R2 Hotfix build 33929.
Improved performance and memory management in NAV 2009 R2 and earlier data sources.
Improved performance when closing Excel in some situations.
Fixed issue in Dynamics NAV 2013 data sources where an Invalid Filter error could occur when excluding closing dates.
Fixed issue in Dynamics NAV 2013 data sources where minimum date values were not being handled correctly.
Fixed issue in the Table Builder where filters were not being written for LinkSum formulas on nested link tables.
Fixed issue in NL(Table) where leading zeros were not being preserved in some cases.
Fixed issue in the Data Source Settings where the data source type was not being displayed correctly when renaming a data source.
Fixed issue in the Jfx where selecting multiple dates for a filter did not put the '|' between the final two dates.
Fixed issue in Snippets window where snippets could not be dragged from the left, to the left.
Fixed issue where an exception could occur when Transition Navigation Keys were enabled in Excel.
Fixed issue in the Jet ribbon where the Data Source Settings icon no longer indicated when centralized settings were being used.
Fixed issue in Dynamics NAV data sources where a blank code caption in an advanced dimension caused subsequent dimensions not to be loaded.
Fixed issue in Autopilot where PDF files were not able to be sent via email if the extension used in the /O argument was not .pdf.
Fixed issue in Autopilot where the Excel Update Links dialog was not being suppressed.
Fixed issue when opening Excel where a failure to write the .odc file for Cube data sources would cause the ribbon not to load.
Jet Essentials 2012 R2 Build 12.5.12271.0Changes Since 12.5.12258.0
Updated translations for all supported languages.
Updated online help for Jet 2012 R2.
Added SSL capabilities to the Dynamics NAV Web Service data source and Web Client drilldown, and NP(Codeunit) for all Dynamics NAV data sources.
Fixed issue where NP(Codeunit) was not working when using a Dynamics NAV Web Service data source.
Fixed issue where the default port for Web Client drilldown in a Dynamics NAV Web Service data source was set to 7046 instead of 8080.
Fixed issue in the Jfx where Data Source lookups did not display the data source type.
Jet Essentials 2012 Build 12.0.12187.0
July 6, 2012
Changes Since 12.0.12150.0
Removed incomplete Korean, Slovenian, and Turkish translations from list of available User Interface languages.
Fixed issue in the Scheduler where failure to load one task would prevent others from loading.
Fixed issue where an XmlException could occur when attempting to load Favorites.
Fixed issue where an OdbcException could occur when the Caption Editor attempted to load a non-SQL Universal data source.
Fixed issue in the Dynamics NAV Data Source Settings where the Language Module Folder setting may not update correctly.
Fixed issue where an InvalidCastException would be thrown when performing a drilldown on an NL(Table) function in 64-bit Excel.
Fixed issue where the NL(Table) function could shift column values into incorrect columns when no fields are specified.
Fixed issue where NL(Table) shifted column headers but not values when a blank field is specified.
Fixed issue where an exception during Drilldown into a Universal data source could crash Excel.
Fixed issue with the NF Optimization feature where absolute row references to the NL function were treated as relative references.
Fixed issue with the NF Optimization feature where the 'SQL=' prefix was case-sensitive.
Fixed issue in the Jet GP Update utility where failure to install one Jet View would prevent others from installing.
Fixed issue where multiple User Data sheets could exist in a report for a single report sheet.
Improved User Data error messages associated with duplicate keys.
Jet Essentials 2012 Build 12.0.12150.0
Changes Since 12.0.12137.1
May 31, 2012
Fixed issue where Advanced Dimensions in a Dynamics NAV data source were not able to be loaded across multiple companies.
Fixed issue in the Jfx where field caches were not built using the locale specific column separator.
Fixed issue in the Jfx where the key was not built using the locale specific column separator when performing a lookup of "Key=".
Fixed issue where CalcFields that returned an Excel Range did not work correctly.
Jet Essentials 2012 Build 12.0.12137.1
Changes Since 12.0.12136.0
May 17, 2012
Fixed issue in 32-bit installer where Jet libraries may not register correctly, resulting in Visual Basic errors on activation.
Fixed issue where the "Luminitix Transport Agent" may experience an error, prompting a request to send an error report.
Fixed issue where NL(CubeValue) queries could retrieve unexpected results due to a workaround for an issue in SQL Server 2008 R2.
Jet Essentials 2011 Build 11.1.12053.0
March 1, 2012
Changes Since: 11.1.12041.0
Improved overall performance of Database Caption Editor.
Improved performance when using NF Function Optimization feature in certain situations.
Added SMTP timeout to the Jet Application Settings.
Fixed issue where Serenic Navigator User Access Rules were not applied correctly when they differed by company.
Fixed issue in Autopilot/Scheduler where email addresses with top-level domains of more than 4 characters were not recognized.
Fixed issue where binary fields were being included in Grid Drilldown, which resulted in an exception in Oracle data sources.
Fixed issue where shadow sheets were being created for NF Functions regardless of whether the NF Function Optimization feature was enabled.
Fixed issue with NF Function Optimization feature which causes the NF Field argument to be case-sensitive when used with the SQL= feature.
Fixed issue where Jet functions below and to the right of a pivot table were not restored correctly when entering Design Mode.
Fixed issue where a CalcFilterField with an invalid formula threw an unexpected exception.
Jet Essentials 2011 Build 11.1.12041.0
February 10, 2012
Changes Since: 11.1.11356.0
Updated Swedish translation.
Jet Essentials 2011 Build 11.1.11356.0
December 22, 2011
Changes Since: 11.0.11334.0
Added Norwegian translation.
Updated Swedish, Spanish, Dutch, Russian, and Italian translations.
Fixed an issue where the table column reference string built by the Table Builder was not localized for other languages.
Jet Essentials 2011 Build 11.1.11344.0
November 15, 2011
Changes Since: 11.0.11242.0
Enhanced the Table Builder by adding the ability to save and load templates.
Updated Danish, Polish, Japanese, German, Portuguese, Dutch, French, and Italian translations.
Fixed issue in the Table Builder where column references in a Formula field were inserted with syntax that is incompatible with Excel 2007.
Fixed issue in the Table Builder where column references with a # or ' where not written correctly, resulting in an error.
Fixed issue where Formula fields were not allowed to be written in local syntax.
Fixed issue where the Table Builder always wrote nested links with Link=Table which could cause the link to link to the wrong table.
Fixed issue where the presence of multiple Dynamics NAV companies with different fiscal calendars resulted in problems when attempting to exclude closing dates in a filter.
Fixed issue in Dynamics NAV where if the Dimension table did not exist and a field was invalid, users received the error "TableData 348 does not exist", and fields did not load in the Table Builder.
Fixed issue where shared tables in NAV were not displayed when Display Empty Tables was disabled.
Fixed issue where Filters= with more than 2 pairs of filters threw an ArgumentOutOfRangeException in NL(Filter).
Fixed issue where using Preserve Page Breaks setting reset the page scaling to 100%.
Fixed issue where SQL= no longer allowed SELECT followed by an open parenthesis "(".
Fixed issue with Link= where validating link types down nested link chains did not work when multiple links existed.
Fixed issue where setting the short date format of the OS to M/d/yy caused date filters to malfunction for Dynamics NAV data sources.
Fixed issue where opening the progress window would raise an error if another WaitHandle existed with the same ID.
Fixed issue where the Jet Data Warehouse data source incorrectly determined whether tables were postfixed resulting in the inability to load fields or execute queries from certain tables.
Jet Essentials 2011 Build 11.0.11265.0
September 13, 2011
Updated Dutch, French, Spanish, and Polish product translations.
Improved the NL(Table) function to automatically add a SUM formula in the total row for all numeric columns.
Fixed issue in the Table Builder where the OK button would be disabled when it should not be.
Fixed issue in the Table Builder where typing @@ in the Formula box of a Formula field would cause a NullReferenceException.
Fixed issue in the Table Builder where clicking a field in the Report Preview while typing in the Formula box of a Formula field could cause a NullReferenceException.
Fixed issue in French translation that would cause a FormatException when specifying an Analysis View in the Dynamics NAV GL function.
Fixed issue in the Jfx where a value lookup could cause an ArgumentException.