Data Export is a feature that allows you to push the content of a data warehouse to another database. At the moment SQL Server (including Azure SQL), Oracle and text files are supported as destinations. The feature uses the same external provider concept as the Custom Data Source, which means that we have a framework that makes it possible to add new providers without releasing a new version of the Jet Data Manager.
A data export, or data export destination, and the tables and fields it contains supports a subset of the features found on regular data warehouses.
- Selection rules
- Guard table
- Preview table and the query tool
- Pre- and postscripts
- Include in primary key
- Edit name and data type
Adding a New Data Export
To add a new data export, follow the steps below.
- Click on the Data Export tab, right click on Data Exports and click on Add Data Export.
- In Name, type a name for the data export destination.
- In the Provider list, click on the provider you wish to use.
- If the Provider list is empty, please visit our partner site (TimeXtender) and follow the instructions for Installing Custom Components
- In the Setup Property list, click on Setup Properties. In the grid below, enter the setup properties required by the selected data export destination.
- (Optional) Click on Test connection to test that the connection properties you entered allow you to connect.
Adding a Table to a Data Export
To add a table to a data export, follow the steps below.
- On the Data Export tab, expand Data Warehouses until you have located the table you want to add. Drag the table from Tables under Data Warehouses and drop it on Tables under the relevant data export under Data Exports.
The Add Data Export table window opens.
- (Optional) In Data Export Table Name type a name for the table when used in the data export.
- Clear the selection for fields you do not want to include in the table on the data export.
- Click on a name in the Destination Name column to edit the name as it appears on the Data Export.
- Click on OK.
Adding All Tables and/or Views from a Data Warehouse to a Data Export
To add all tables and/or views from a data warehouse to a data export, do as follows. On the Data Export tab, expand Data Warehouses until you have located the data warehouse that contains the tables or views you want to add. Drag Tables or Views under the data warehouse – or the entire data warehouse – and drop it on the relevant data export under Data Exports.
The Jet Data Manager will add all views and all tables with all fields to the data export with the following exceptions:
- Tables or views that have already been added to the data export will be ignored.
- Tables or views that are not visible on the data warehouse in the currently selected project perspective will not be added.
- Tables or views that are not visible on the data export in the currently selected perspective, will be ignored if you add them again.
Previewing a table
Once the data export has been executed, the regular Preview Table command can be used to view the content of the table. Click on Destination in the Instance list to see the data stored in the data export and Source to view the data in the table in the data warehouse.