Data sources contain the data that you want to retrieve and use for analysis. This article details the required steps to add a custom data source to connect to Dynamics 365.
The process involves two distinct steps:
- Download and Install the Custom Components Setup Application
- Add Data Source
Download and Install the Custom Components Setup Application
Click on the below link to go to the Custom Components Setup page.
Follow the instructions to download and install the Custom Component.
Add Data Sources
On the Data tab, expand the preferred business unit, and then right-click Data Sources.
Point to Data Sources, select Add Custom Data Source.
The Add Custom Data Source dialog opens.
In the Name field type the name of the data source.
In Provider list, select TimeXtender CRM 2016 Source.
In the Setup Property list, make sure Connection Properties is selected. In the settings box below, enter the connection properties:
- Active Records Only - If True, only active records will be brought into the project.
- Connection Timeout - The number of seconds to wait for a connection to be established.
- Organization Number - The organization number you want to pull data from. (Typically 0)
- Password - The Password used for authentication.
- Server Address - The address of the Dynamics 365 server. To find your servers address open Dynamics 365, click Settings, Customizations, Developer Resources. You will then see a screen like the one below. Use the portion of the Endpoint Address that is highlighted.
- Use Office 365 Authentication - If true, the connection will be made using Office 365 authentication.
- Username - The user name used for authentication.
- Use Logical Name - Use the original object name instead of the label that might have been defined in the system.
- Option Test Length - The max length set for data types that do not have a maximum length defined.
- Truncate Text Value - If true, the connector will make the data fit the data types by removing extra data.
- Unicode - If true, test fields will be set to Unicode.
Click Test Connection to test if the connection properties are correct.
Click OK to add the data source. You can read the objects from the data source and add tables as with any other data source.